Sunday, December 26, 2010

I thought you'd be here forever



I'm so overdue on posting this! This is my painting for the latest exhibition
"Artists as Activists" at the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts.
It's on until 12th of September.

I chose the issue of deforestation. Back home we lived next to the forest and in
our garden my brothers and I each had a tree of our own that we treated like our houses.

It makes me sad to see large amounts of trees being cut down all over the world.
Whole forests that have existed for centuries have to make way for everyone's greed
in the form of mining, plantations, gigantic cattle farms, highways, cities, etc...
Deforestation is also shaping our climate. Forests are needed to provide most of our oxygen.
Cutting them down results in quite the opposite: Tropical deforestation is responsible for
approximately 20% of world greenhouse gas emissions.
Forests also regulate the water cycle and rainforests produce about 30% of our planet's fresh water.
They are also home to a great variety of animals, which lose their habitats through deforestation and die.

We need to protect our forests and replant and reforest and give
back to nature what didn't even belong to us in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one, Jinx. You've found a way to be 'political' without being political, which is win-win :P. I feel trees have lives, uncannily :/ dead trees make me sad

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...