Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I love you in your tragic beauty


Click for larger


Click for larger

These 2 paintings are part of the upcoming group show
"Beauty meets the Bizarre" at the Depot Galleries in Auckland.

"A group exhibition of new work from emerging artists from Auckland and
Wellington exploring contrasting themes; from light to dark; the ethereal
to the macabre; the delicate and the disgusting – all on beautiful wood."

It's the second time I've painted on wood.
The first was the Skateboard for Te Papa in February.

I rarely paint guys I know, but it was necessary for illustrating
my thoughts and I liked painting him. He doesn't stand for a particular
guy but rather depicts a general picture of a lover/father figure.

The paintings are about past pain growing into the present. About
accepting/ loving each others and your own flaws. About finding your inner
wolf or rabbit, being the wild and the tame, the hunter and the hunted.

The title "I love you in your tragic beauty" is one of my favourite
songs by The Legendary Pink Dots. Click to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...